Monday, March 9, 2009

Why "Into a Paper Cup"?

The Beatles. Duh.

That should be the answer to anything and everything, like on short answer exams at school.


"What name did Albert Camus give his brand of existentialist philosophy?"
The Beatles.

"In what year was Francis Ferdinand assassinated, thus bringing about the start of WWI?"
The Beatles.

"For which of his theories did Albert Einstein win the Nobel Prize?"
The Beatles.


Gosh, I wish that worked. (For the record, the answers are 1. Absurdism, 2. 1914, 3. No, not General Relativity. But actually "photoelectric effect". Whatever that means. Thank you History Channel documentaries.)

Anyways, in the case of the phrase "Into a Paper Cup" the answer really IS The Beatles. Specifically, the line in the song "Across The Universe": Words are flowing out/ like endless rain into a paper cup.


That being said, I think the reason I chose that particular phrase is pretty self-explanatory. (However, I'm very disappointed in you if you didn't catch the reference on your own anyway.)


ANYWAYS, I don't really know if I plan on consistently updating this blog, and I'm admittedly a tad bit worried that my mother's large following might sneak on to this page and start reading the ramblings of an unknown 18 year old...but I suppose that is the risk one takes when posting one's personal thoughts on the world wide web! So be it. But I promise I'm not that interesting.

Weird, yes.
But not interesting. Totally different things :]

Well, I guess that's it for now. No fabulous stories from the Golden State tonight, I'm afraid.
So, ta-ta!

-T.

7 comments:

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I always knew it's not me or Dad who are the writers in this family even though we are the ones with the journalism degree :-) Don't write anything embarrassing like top secret family dirt please. Well, okay you can write about anything. I'll just disown you if you embarrass me. I'll still love you, of course :-)

Great post. Proud of you baby girl!

Alan said...

"Not that interesting?"
Oh Tara, you are one of the most intereting people I know. AND you are an excellent writer. And for the record, I didn't get the paper cup thing until you explained it. I'm not aware I've every heard the song Across the Universe.

Margie said...

I am glad you are blogging!! You are a great writer and I am looking forward to reading what you have to say. I am ashamed to admit I didn't get the paper cup thing either. My mind was thinking about the story Melissa told me about the paper cup from her doctors appointment yesterday. Is that too much information!!???!!!

Bea said...

So tell me more about these Beatles? :o)
I am not familiar with all of their songs and certainly not this particular song, but I always enjoy hearing how people come up with their titles. This is an interesting one. Welcome to the world of blog. I will enjoy reading your creative contributions.

Lesley said...

Glad you're joining the blogging crowd Tara. I do get your blog title (maybe because we hear a lot of Beatles in our house).

Melissa said...

I got the referance...are you proud? In fact I listened to that song about 20 times last week because I was in the mood :) I'm excited to blog stalk you :)

Lilian said...

Please post the embarassing top secret family dirt!

Interesting.... yes you are!